Friday 20 June 2014

The Glory of Law: A Dream Revised


One day, I am going to be a lawyer. I will get to wear fancy clothes and have a fruitful career. I will win many cases and be well respected among my peers.

These are some of the initial feelings that some may experience when deciding to pursue a career in law. However, as someone who used to possess these feelings, it was not long before I realized that this is not what law is about. Law is indeed a glorious profession, but not for the above reasons.

It was always apparent to me that pursuing a career in law would be no simple task. From going through the application process for Law School, to surviving 100% law finals, to getting a job, and then having to prove your merit at your place of hire, the challenges never end. However, out of all the hard work, the stress, the ups and downs, comes excitement and a heightened sense of where all the dedication is eventually leading. It is leading to a career in law, a dream come true. Although, along the way, something changed. I began to understand that law is much more than just fancy clothes and winning cases. It is, at its very core, about being on the front lines of justice. This is why law is a glorious career. It allows you to serve the public by defending freedom, as well as to seek the most just outcome for your client.

...along the way, something changed. I began to understand that law is much more than just fancy clothes and winning cases.

As a student at MB, I am given a great amount of responsibility. With that responsibility, comes the opportunity to be immersed in the profession and to truly realize my goals. There is no greater feeling than knowing that you have made a contribution, no matter how large or small, to a cause much greater than yourself. So, even if I have to stay in the office from early morning until late at night, and this will happen at times, I take solace in the fact that I am fighting for things that deserve a high degree of dedication and hard work, social goods such as freedom and justice.

In the words of Daniel Webster, "Justice, sir, is the great interest of man on earth. It is the ligament which holds civilized beings and civilized nations together." I believe this quote embodies what it truly means to be part of the legal profession. So forget the fancy clothes, the glory of law is the privilege of being trusted with the duty to progress a claim in the pursuit of justice. It is because of this, that I am honoured to say “one day, I am going to be a lawyer”.
Michael G.