Friday 6 June 2014

An amazing year, coming to an end

What an amazing articling year it has been!

With our articles now coming to an end, we thought that we would share some of our favourite MB memories and leave you with some parting words/advice…

See you in September MB!

JUSTIN 

  • Favourite Memory of the year: After doing good work on a mediation memorandum for a professional negligence file, I was given the opportunity to take carriage of the small claims court file and bring it to trial. I was totally ready to go, until, the day before trial, the Plaintiff accepted my Offer to Settle months earlier. It was such a disappointment at the time but has become one of my favourite stories from my articling term and certainly my favourite memory. 
  • Words of Wisdom: Bite off more than you can chew.
  • Plans for Summer: Honeymooning in Italy!
  • Parting Words: I will cherish all the time I spent with my fellow articling students, it was quite a ride and I know I will always look back to my Articling fondly.


ERIC 

  • Favourite Memory of the year: Easily the firm’s Christmas party. Our articling student skit was a huge hit.   
  • Words of Wisdom: Articling is a marathon, not a sprint. Also, save some precedents. No one needs to jump over the same hurdle twice.
  • Plans for Summer: A fast-food detox followed by a two-week trip to Slovenia, Croatia, and Montenegro.
  • Parting Words: Stay classy, McCague Borlack.


KATI 

  • Favourite Memory of the year: the final five minutes before we started the annual holiday skit. The props were set up, the students were all laughing nervously, it was hilariously awful.
  • Words of Wisdom: Learn early that ‎while what you do as a student is important, nothing is so important that it can't be fixed. Even if you feel like the sky is falling around you, it can be refastened without too much hassle.
  • Plans for Summer: Getting to know Toronto better, possibly a trip to Turkey in there too. Lots of weddings.
  • Parting Words: There's always money in the banana stand.


ALYSSA

  • Favourite Memory of the year: Getting back our winning verdict after trial!
  • Words of Wisdom: Always make sure your phone is on silent before court begins.
  • Plans for Summer: To be determined, but I'm hoping to do some travelling.
  • Parting Words: See you in the fall, MB!


DAVID

  • Favourite Memory of the year: MB Christmas party!
  • Words of Wisdom: Ask lots of questions.
  • Plans for Summer: Traveling!
  • Parting Words: Never forget to have fun!


EMILY 

  • Favourite Memory of the year: My very first time in “big girl” court with the chose-your-own-adventure-esque instructions for bringing a walk-in motion.
  • Words of Wisdom: Take a breath, smile even when you don’t feel like it, and enjoy the moment. This is your time to learn from your mistakes, relish in the opportunity.
  • Plans for Summer: Road trip, beach sleeps, bottomless port, and endless seafood.
  • Parting Words: It was quite the ten months full of law, laughs, and lamentations – and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you to my articling student family who travelled through this rite of passage with me, you are forever my MB siblings and I am grateful for that.


SHIVAAN 

  • Favourite Memory of the year: Driving to Perth for a settlement conference at the beautiful Perth Courthouse
  • Words of Wisdom: You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. You never know what will happen if you don’t try or ask.
  • Plans for Summer: Taking some time to get out on the water!
  • Parting Words: Always be a student, and try to keep learning and improving continually throughout your career.